posted in plain text for Cecilia:

Pat,
Thank you for your kind words. I knew this would be an interesting thread and I almost knew who would be asking the first questions, lol.

I'm curious to know if you have any sort of estimate for the number of
litters produced outside of the control of this committee in your country?
None? 1/10th? 1/2? 2/3? Is there any way to determine an estimate of this?
Perhaps by numbers of Berners registered clubs other than the SKK?
I'm sure it has happened that unregistered litters have been produced, but I, personally, have actually never heard of any. I would say none or nearly none. There is no other FCI recognized organisation that registers pure bred dogs in Sweden other than the SKK. The market here is as such that the general public is relatively well informed in regards as to how to go about purchasing a well bred dog. I know there are big problems with breeds such as golden retrievers and German shepards being bred out of club-wedlock, but this is definately not a big problem within the Berner community.

And what is PNP?
Progressive nefropathia. I wasn't sure how to translate and abbreviate it.

Would you happen to have any idea what the average amount of HD and ED is
for the breed in Sweden?
I will ask and get the exact figures for you. There has been a dramatic
improvement in the incidence of dysplastic disease since the implementation of the breeding code of ethics almost 20 years ago. I will try to get a hold of comparison figures. Give me a couple of days, k?

Cecilia Ståhl
Stockholm, Sweden