I use a Dremel ($39 variable speed, set at the LOWEST speed to manage heat
and to take nails off very slowly - I use the drum tool for fine sanding) on
my 6 mo pup.  I started exposing her early just to the noise (first, I just
held her paw and did nothing -- gave her a treat at the end) and now she is
fine with it.  We use extra care like one would/should with any tool --
e.g., my husband holds her paw when I operate the tool do it to keep tails,
etc. out of the way.  I go slowly which is why I use my husband's help.

What I have observed is that there is a tendency for people to get in a
hurry and use the tool at too fast a speed.  This generates heat in the nail
and risks injury because of loss of control (taking too much of the nail off
at the time).  I do not use a Dremel on my two other dogs because they were
not exposed to it as pups.  If you go slowly and exercise normal caution,
the Dremel is a very nice tool for nails.

Basically, I use whatever tool my particular dog finds most comfortable.
Nail cutting is not something that I enjoy doing and my dogs probably sense
that.  It might also be because my husband is helping -- he usually leaves
dog things to me so it's a big deal when there is a "joint operation" in my
house.  In general he is squeamish about these things -- you should have
heard him when I gave my dog an injection!! "Oh, I couldn't do that!  I
don't know how you can do this to our Hannah.  Oh, that looks like it
hurts!....and on and on...until I told him to please leave the room while I
did it because it was the first time for me and I couldn't handle a husband
that was freaking out -- my dog was perfect.

Nancy Melone