Rupert, my 16 month old Berner, has an umbilical hernia.

In view that it didn't seem to worry his breeder, nor my vet and, most
importantly, doesn't appear to worry my dog, I just left it alone. I
intended to have it fixed when he was neutered at 10 month - but then
promptly forgot all about it at the time.

Meanwhile, his hernia has grown - but then so has the dog - and it is now
the size of a small plum. It still doesn't bother him BUT it has become
bigger.

You know the saying " if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but although he
isn't "broken" yet, I don't want until he may become so. I know very little
about umbilical hernias and their problems other than that they are fairly
common.

Could any of you with hernia experience share the pros and cons of
corrective surgery? Is surgery even necessary for hernias and if yes, why is
that?

Many thanks for your help

Michaela, Harvey & Rupsi
Devon/UK