----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Spada" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I am about to get a puppy in a week.  I live in New England.  We just
> received a lot of snow.  I would prefer to housebreak directly outside ...
> but am concerned about puppy feet and the snow.  also concerned how to
> socialize the puppy if he can't go out in the snow/cold.  I have read a
ton
> of books and thought I was prepared - I will Barf diet, minimal vaccines,
> clicker train ... I don't know if it's my cold feet or the pups but how do
> people train in winter?

Mic the Berner boy was housebroken during a PA winter. We went right on out
into the snow, which he loved to play in. Lliira the Pyr girl was also a
winter puppy. I have wonderful memories of her doing head rolls into the
snow drifts. They are good winter dogs, and as long as you don't keep them
out for hours on end, a healthy Berner should be perfectly fine playing in
the cold and snow during potty breaks and outside play time. Just be careful
about traction with ice! You don't want the puppy falling!

Eileen Morgan
The Mare's Nest
http://www.enter.net/~edlehman

---