It is easy to condemn this police officer, but before we rush to
judgment, we perhaps should attempt to put ourselves in the shoes of the
officer.

Police officers must react with amazing rapidity to all kinds of things
that most of us could never even dream up. They must make split-second
decisions in assessing a potentially dangerous situation. Sadly, it is
not uncommon in the slightest for criminals to train dogs to be,
essentially, weapons. So it is not at all unreasonable for an officer
who believes that a serious crime has been committed to believe that a
dog traveling with the suspects could be dangerous.

It is easy to look at that footage, while we are sitting relaxed and
comfortable at our computers, and see what that dog's real intentions
were. But in the heat of an arrest and a situation perceived to be
dangerous, a police officer simply can't see all the nuances that we
can. There just isn't time.

I'm not condoning the officer's actions -- I don't think any of us know
enough yet to really say if he was right or not. My heart goes out to
the family for the loss of their beloved pet and for the trauma of
witnessing it. But I strongly believe that it is wrong to be accusing
that officer of malicious and stupid action until the facts are more
clearly known. Police officers risk their lives for all of us on a daily
basis. They at least deserve the benefit of the doubt.

And, lest we forget, don't you imagine the officer feels terribly guilty
for what happened? He may also feel justified, but I would bet that he
feels just terrible for killing the dog, especially in front of the
family.

Just my two cents,
Julia
Lily & Max