Lemme try this post AGAIN!! Sorry...

Eileen wrote: <<...it is in best interests of the dog
and club for the dog to be fostered by someone
knowledgeable, but, please keep in mind sometimes
there really is only one real option for the sake of
the dogs and the people involved>>

Eileen,

I feel you made some valid points. Rescue is often a
project left to the willing, not necessarily to the
qualified. When I first started in it some 25+ years
ago (my how time flies!), I was only willing and
completely unqualified. I've lost count of how many
times I've been bitten by an aggressive animal,
usually a large dog. Trial and error, plus seeking
trained counsel has helped me further my own education
in rehabilitating large dogs. And I'm still learning,
but at least its been awhile since I've been bitten =)

Its a personal conviction of mine that anyone wanting
to breed (or own) any dog or cat should first
volunteer in a shelter for a long period of time. Even
a couple of hours per week can make a huge difference.
And during their shelter time, that person should have
to hold several healthy, lovable, adorable dogs and
cats as they are euthanized solely because they lack a
good home and/or they have temperament/health issues.
And then help dispose of their sad remains. I know the
impact that has had on MY life and especially on my
breeding perspective.

Also, I feel one of the best ways to learn how to
rehabiliate a poorly behaved dog is to learn from
others in rescue work. So if anyone reading this has
an interest in becoming a resource to help a
problematic dog become rehabiliated, you're likely to
find some good re-training resources through your
local shelter (or club).

My $0.02,
Esther Wilson
WilPower Kennels