THANK YOU, Ray and Pat for sending in the blood sample of Talee! We do NEED more blood donations from Berners such as your Talee, who are 10 years or older and who have never been diagnosed with Malignant Histiocytosis. The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center is trying to find the marker for Malignant Histiocytosis and they need to have 40 blood samples from Berners who have been diagnosed with Malignant Histiocytosis and 40 samples from Berner who are 10 years or older and who have never been diagnosed with Malignant Histiocytosis. This research could have a real impact on the lives of our Berners. Surely there are more 10 year and older Berners who could participate.

When my Winston was diagnosed with Malignant Histiocytosis on New Years Eve this past year, I already had the kit from Pat Long for participating in this study, because I suspected that his illness was going to be histio. It was Winston's final contribution to the breed on January 4, 2003 and one that I know was most important. It is not an easy time when you get that diagnosis to think about participating in a study, but it is vital that you think ahead so you can make that important decision to take part in it.

As of February 4, 2003, they had 17 affected Berners and 31 non-affected control Berners for the study. That means that they still need 23 more Berners who have been diagnosed with Malignant Histiocytosis and just 9 more Berners who are over 10 years old and who have never been diagnosed with Malignant Histiocytosis. Heidi Parker, in the laboratory of Dr. Elaine Ostrander at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, is conducting this study of Malignant Histiocytosis in Bernese Mountain Dogs. Her team's goal is to find DNA markers associated with this disease and the actual gene mutations that cause Malignant Histiocytosis. With our help, her lab could be successful in finding associated DNA markers within three to four years, and the causative gene mutations in the next decade. This genetic information would be available to such companies as VetGgen and Optigen to develop a DNA test that breeders could use to make more informed breeding decisions in an effort to reduce the incidence of this disease. In addition, once the causative gene mutations are found, drug therapies could potentially be developed by other companies to either prevent the development of or reduce the severity of the disease in Berners that already carry the disease genes.

If you would like to donate a blood sample from your dog, please:
1. request a free blood collection kit from Heidi Parker or Nate Sutter in Elaine Ostrander's lab Please email to both Heidi and Nate ([EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED]) or call (206) 667-6980 to insure that a kit is sent to you as soon as possible. If time is critical, call and they will overnight the kit.
2. Follow the enclosed instructions:
a. Have your vet fill the tubes with blood
b. label the tubes with dog's name, breed, sex, age, owner's name and phone number, and include a pedigree and relative health information.
c. use the enclosed mailing label
d. mail it priority mail to FHCRC
e. call or email them to let them know it's on its way

If your Berner has been diagnosed with Malignant Histiocytosis and there is no time to get the kit for the study, you can use the above instructions for sending blood samples and have your vet supply the two blood collection tubes.

The Canine Health Foundation matched our recent donations from the fundraiser we did with the two paintings by Willem Wijnberg, from The Netherlands, on the Berner-l at a 50% rate and we were able to raise $5595 for the study of Malignant Histiocytosis! Thank you to all who participated in our fundraiser! The donations we sent to the study was a BIG help, but right now the need is for Berners to participate in the research. Won't you please consider letting your Berner help the "Berners of tomorrow" - you will be happy you did.

Joye Neff (Samantha and Ben)
Mt. Lebanon, Pittsburgh, PA

P.S. Watch for the upcoming fundraiser with two more fantastic paintings by Willem Wijnberg! Willem is insisting that this fundraiser be in memory of my Winston. I want it to be a fundraiser to "Celebrate the Lives of all our Precious Berners" who have lost the Battle to Malignant Histiocytosis. Contact Jean Cheesman at <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> to include your affected Berners in the pictoral Histio Rollcall page she is preparing for our fundraiser.