Brenda Abrams called this to my attention. No Berners that we know of but not out of
the realm of possibility.A sad story, ironic that he was the Dog Control officer(!!)
but cause for hope. Go Gravce!

Linda Seaver & Belline

The Journal News A Ganette Newspaper
Westchester County, New York

Trial date set for Mahopac puppy shop
By BARBARA LIVINGSTON NACKMAN
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: February 21,2003)

MAHOPAC — The town of Carmel is intent on shutting down a commercial dog seller
operating in a residential area.

Beyond zoning infractions, neighbors say the business is an outlet for >Midwest "puppy
mills." Armed with photos of trailer trucks with >out-of-state >plates making
deliveries to Puppy Club Kennels, neighbors have argued that
owner Richard Doyle sells often sickly dogs pulled too soon from their >mothers.

The town has accused Doyle of violating town codes for making unapproved >building
alterations and for operating a business in a noncommercial zone.

A jury trial on criminal charges arising from an alleged failure to correct the
violations will begin Thursday in Carmel Town Court.

Doyle did not want to comment when reached this week. Earlier, he denied the charges,
saying that as a longtime professional in the pet industry, he treats animals properly
and follows state and local laws. His Austin Road neighbors, he has said, do not like
that he is running a business near their homes.

The town's code enforcement officer sees it differently.
"The retail sale of dogs must cease and desist immediately," Michael Carnazza wrote in
an Oct. 3, 2002, notice of violation.

Business apparently continues at Puppy Club Kennels, with advertisements appearing
this week in a local publication touting 70 new puppies — Yorkshire terriers,
poodles and Labrador retrievers — for sale.

The town's Zoning Board of Appeals ruled against Doyle, refusing to grant a variance
for expansion of buildings on his 275 Austin Road property or for him to sell dogs
from that location. A move to overturn the decision was
denied by state Supreme Court Justice S. Barrett Hickman on Jan. 30, clearing the way
for the town to criminally prosecute Doyle, alleging he violated town zoning codes.

"The judge vacated a stay, and we can move forward with these violations that have
been reported," Supervisor Frank Del Campo said.Greg Folchetti is prosecuting the case
for the town.
Doyle, who once served temporarily as the town's dog-control officer, has said the
sale of dogs has taken place on the property since 1935 and is a pre-existing use that
was upheld in 1974 and 1989 zoning board decisions.Doyle, who does not live at the
site, purchased it in 1991.

"We are doing everything we are allowed to do and have made no structural additions,"
said attorney William Shilling of Curtiss, Leibell & Shilling of Carmel, who
represents Doyle.

Last week, Shilling requested a review by the Appellate Division Second Department of
the state Supreme Court. He said he also planned to file paperwork asking to reargue
the case before Hickman.

Dr. Brian Green, director of the Sleepy Hollow Animal Hospital since 1981,said he
supported the zoning board's decision to shut down Doyle's operation.

Green said this week that he had treated more ill puppies and more with congenital
abnormalities that were sold from Doyle's kennel than from any other retailer in the
region. Green wrote a Nov. 9 letter to town officials disclosing his findings.
Paperwork accompanying the dogs he's treated from the Mahopac kennel documents that
the animals were bred in Kansas, Missouri,Montana, Oklahoma or Arkansas, Green said,
and are "almost always from Midwest 'puppy mills.' ''

"It is heartbreaking and frightening that this is allowed to continue," said Green, a
veterinarian for 23 years.

Residents living near the business say what used to be a kennel offering pet grooming
and boarding services is now a large-scale dog-selling business. Hundreds of dogs
arrive each month, contend neighbors, who complain of the
noise and foul smell. They say they are upset about the sale of sickly dogs,who are
kept in cramped, dirty cages.

Town officials, who were invited to tour the facility in January 2002, found 50
puppies housed two to a cage in a clean building on the 4-acre site. Stacks of dog
supplies were kept in a dilapidated red barn, which Doyle had sought to renovate.

Neighbors Grace and Christopher O'Toole have lived across the street from the business
for 37 years. The couple hired an attorney to shut down the business, saying it
perpetuates inhumane treatment of animals.

"If called, I will be a witness," Grace O'Toole said of next week's
trial."Unfortunately, I have seen what has gone on there for a long time."