Hello All,

>I have asked this
>occasionally of PPO's, and the conventional answer is that that goldens
>have gotten too popular.  They generally like everything about the
>goldens except their popularity.

>Are they changing from a Golden because they feel the breed has degenerated
>because of it's popularity or are they changing because they want a less
>common breed?

>Rose T.

Berners vs Goldens; I've owned Golden's my entire adult life. (please
don't ask how long that is). My current Golden, Hunter, is 16 months
old. I also own a 9-1/2 month old Berner, Casey. Casey I acquired from a
NY breeder. I obtained Casey through an unusual set of circumstances
that brought me, a very nice (and supportive) BMD breeder, and a Berner
puppy rescue together. From my point of view, I think the experience
ended well for all involved.  I don't view my acquisition of Casey as a
"switch" I cannot envision my life without a Golden. I wrestled with the
decision to bring a BMD into our lives knowing the breed has a
reputation of being short lived for reasons continuously highlighted by
members of this list. I beleive that when dealing with purebreed dogs,
there are no guarantees. If you asked me today if I would ever own
another Berner, I'm reasonably sure I would not. I love Casey to death,
However, I find that everything from housebreaking to basic obedience
has taken an incredible amount of effort. She tends to be fearful of
everything. From what I've been reading on the L this is not an uncommon
problem.  I am encouraged by the fact that my/her trainer feels she will
overcome. I will never give up on her and I'm not concerned about her
developing a fear aggression problem. Medically, I worry just as much
over the health my Golden as I do for the health of Casey. Have Golden's
suffered due to their popularity? I think so. Visit a pet shop, any pet
shop that sells dogs and you will undoubtably find Golden puppies. In
obedience classes, you can usually find 2-3 Goldens. Are people
switching breeds because they feel the Golden has degenerated? I don't
know. I think that there is a perception that the dogs have similar
traits. I think they are both beautiful dogs. But I also think that's
where it begins and ends. Each have their own distinct breed qualities.
When it comes to beauty my father always told me  "looks attract, they
don't hold"  but I'm quite sure he was referring to women. As much as I
love Goldens, I must admit the beauty of a Berner is striking, I
disregarded my fathers advice and this time I don't think I'm any worse
off.

Steve Squillante
Hunter the Golden
Casey the Berner