Jenn:
The cure for back taught is not rewarding it.

It is often helpful to have a friend watch what YOU do when he barks.  You
may be unknowingly be encouraging him to bark back (e.g., by looking at him,
touching him, giving him a command to stop in a tentative way, or using some
form of body language that he finds encouraging or pleasant).  An
independent observer can often pick that up quicker than you or your family
can.  If you don't have a friend, hire a dog behaviorist to come out and
observe.

I have a personal story where we used this observational technique.  My
husband was clearly encouraging certain bad behaviors from one of our dogs
(i.e., the dog was jumping up on him when he came home from work).  He
insisted that he was not doing anything to encourage this behavior --
fortunately, I was able to capture him on video tape and he realized that
indeed he was encouraging the behavior (touching/petting the dog as he
tentatively said "no jump").  He started carrying a treat in his pocket and
upon entry, he gave a firm command to sit, when the dog sat, she got the
treat.  The jumping was gradually extinguished over time. This doesn't
happen overnight, but it does happen.  Make sure that all the family members
expect the same out of the dog and behave consistently toward the dog when
he is barking.  By the way, does the dog bark back at everyone in the family
or only you? Knowing this could also give you a clue on how to deal with it.

If this does not work, the citronella collars are also useful.

Glad you are enjoying your Berner.

Nancy Melone
Mars, PA

Please someone save me and tell me what is the cure for talking back. Im
used to it from the humans, just wanted my puppy to be different. I have no
clue what to do on this one.

HELP!
Jenn and Charlie
Gill, MA