Imagine my surprise when in an out-of-town gift shop on Memorial Day, I noticed a small basket of little fuzzy "pencil holders." Why, they look like PUPPIES! Why, there seems to be a black, rust, and white one here at the bottom. Why, IT'S A BERNER!!! I immediately rescued him and his twin brother for $7.95 each.

These adorable little floppy guys are only about 9" long (just long enough to hold pencils), and have a big smiley grin made up of a zipper around their mouths. Unzip it to reveal a big pink mouth. They're called "Zipits - fun & fuzzy pencil friends," #H5100, made by Ganz of N. Tonawanda New York (no website or telephone number).

Too cute -- watch for these little guys!

Vicky Whitney in Bozeman, Montana