From: Rose Tierney [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 5:37 AM
To: Nancy Melone; Bernese Mountain Dog Mailing List
Subject: RE: alternative to neuters

Hi Nancy,
I read the site and sedation is required, I would imagine for some dogs
this would involve anaesthesia. I would be concerned with introducing a
cellular shrinking agent to the gonads in essence causing them to atrophy.
I think there might be a possibility of subsequent infection, surgical
castration will remain my choice of action. Whenever I have a dog neutered
I am mindful of his care, he is confined for the first few days until
healing is complete and not left out in the elements for mosquitoes and
bugs to bite the newly shaved area. The dog is kept cool and comfortable
with an Elizabethan collar on when I cannot keep him in my vision.

Rose