I am interested in hearing from breeders who put such limitations (no stairs, no walks, etc) on their puppies -- why is this done???

Personally I encourage my owners to let their dogs be dogs - lifting in and out of vehicles only if they are tall and the pups are too small. My 14 week olds are too small to get in and out of the jeep alone but I have taught them to put up their front feet then boost their rears. When I had a sedan they could climb in the back without help. As for steps, let them do them but not play on them. Encourage a controlled pace and use a leash if necessary to keep them aware of where they put they feet but do not avoid steps as I think they build good muscles for the joints. Avoid slick stairs and slick floors, especially at a faster gait than a walk. Put down throw rugs if necessary to avoid excessive slipping. Keep nails trimmed so the pads make good contact. As for exercise, exercise is good but do not overdo it. Let the pup go at it own pace and as it matures and builds muscle and endurance, lengthen the walks and degree of difficulty - ie go from yards and flat areas to paths and forests with rocks and inclines. Start walks with a few houses and build up to a block. As the pup grows, lengthen the walks but do not jog, bike, or power walk with a dog before it is at least 18 months - 2 years. Also no organized jumping as I feel the impact on the growing joints can offer a potential injury (over logs, fences, etc). Then x-ray to determine if the dog is capable of such exercise. Also evaluate the level of endurance the dog is capable of at that age and the amount of muscle tone and growth maturity to see if such exercise should be gradual and at what level it can be increased.

As for playing with other dogs, I let them. The pups can usually tell me if the dog is too rough or they will flatten on the ground to avoid being hurt. If I see this behavior repeated at frequent intervals in a short play session, I will separate the two dogs and wait for the puppy to be a little older and also work with the older dog to play more gently.

Since being this relaxed, both dogs raised under this have clean hips and elbows. I am waiting to x-ray my 19 month old until she turns 2 but I see no reason she will not clear - at least no clinical reason. Her sister's x-rays look fantastic at 17 months and she is 10x more energetic than my girl.

It's a full time job!!

Molly and the gang
Quellen Bernese