I have had one out of many AVID chips migrate/malfunction.  This was a chip
that was inserted in 1998.  According to the veterinary sources that I use,
the Avid chip has been redesigned such that it would allow surrounding
tissue to better secure it.  In my particular case, we discovered it prior
to doing the hip and elbow rads.  I had 3 vet staff, independent of each
other, scan the dog -- to no avail.  We inserted a new (AVID) chip and took
the rads. I have had not migration or malfunction problems with that chip or
any other since. I microchip all my dogs (in case they are lost) and I DNA
profile them (in case they are stolen).  I also chip my Chocolate Point
Siamese cats.

As a matter of good practice, I always have my vet scan my animals at their
annual wellness physicals to insure that everything is working properly.

Nancy Melone, Ph.D.
Mars, PA