Hi Linda,

Both my Berners (Daisy and Buddy) are used to noises since I made it a habit
to drop objects, etc. during their puppyhood.  I bought two bells (small and
medium) from the Care-A-Lot Pets catalog.  They are not as loud as the Swiss
bells.  I think I could have hung the Liberty Bell from their collar and
they would not have hesitated because they love to go for walks.  I remember
them looking at me with confusion when the bells first jangled but I just
clapped, jumped up and down and then gave them a treat. The smaller bell
makes a low tinkling sound -- just enough for me to figure out where Daisy
is in the woods.

I'd try a smaller bell, put it on your Berner, let it jangle, cheer, give
your Berner a treat and immediately  remove the collar and bell.  Do this
several times extending the time the collar/bell is worn. I'm sure the
Berner-L pros will have some good ideas.  Good luck!

Maria Crifasi
Catoctin Mountains, Maryland