Cabela's Puppy Central - update

Hi,
The guy Mike who sent out the original post about Cabela's and their
Puppy
Central went to the event this weekend.  Here is what he had to say:

This weekend is one of the "Puppy Central" weekends at Cabela's so I
thought
I would avoid the chores on the farm and go up and see the process in
person.
I was actually hoping that it would be better in person than it sounded
on
paper.  It was their tent sale weekend and it seemed like a billion
people were
there.  I hate crowds, but I found a parking space and ventured in.  Here
is
what I found.

The Good:
It was a beautiful day; 82 degrees, blue sky with big puffy clouds and a
nice
breeze.  It would have been a perfect day for an agility trial or to be
home
mowing the lawn.  At first I wondered if they had actually canceled it,
as all
the signage that had been up the week before was absent now.  Then I saw
some
dogs being walked in the grass out in front of the grand entrance to the
store.  There were fewer litters than I had heard there might be.  Nine
different
breeders with a total of about 35 pups.  Breeders came from 10 to 70
miles
away.  Ages ranged from 5 weeks, 5 days to 17 weeks.  One breeder was
selling 3
different breeds; labs, 13" beagles, and Visulas.  3 more with Labs, one
with
Weimeraners, two with German shorthair pointers and one with english
pointers.
There were also a few adults dogs on hand, some of which were the dam or
sire
to some of the pups.  I met some nice people and had some good
conversations
about hunting and training dogs.  I spent time with each of the nine
breeders,
in total about 2 and a half hours.  I saw lots of photos and learned a
lot of
history about the dogs and their linage.  In all, most of the pups looked
fat
and healthy.  I would classify most of the breeders as "backyard
breeders",
as in "I have a nice bitch that I hunt, and I breed her to my buddy's dog
who
has a lot of fancy hunting titles."  One fella was clearly what I would
call a
"hobby breeder", who had competed in club sponsored hunt tests with good
success and had carefully chosen a stud that had numerous field titles
and had 9
breed points.  He was the only breeder who had both OFA and CERF on both
parents
and had all the paper work with him.  He was clearly proud of his pups.
This
owner was clearly screening potential buyers in the same way I would.
All
the pedigrees I looked at were AKC registry.   Lots of questions, no
urgency to
sell a pup to anyone.  One person was only willing to sell a pup to a
hunting
home and reported that he was turning away pet homes.  The woman with the
pups
just shy of 6 weeks old, was taking deposits, but the pups had to be
picked
up at her home when they were 8 weeks old.  I over heard 2 people telling
friend that they had had trouble selling their puppies through other
avenues and
thought they would "give this a try".  I did overhear someone that seems
to be
involved in the Wiem Club or perhaps rescue doing an excellent job
counseling
the Wiem breeder on more appropriate means of selling pups.  She was
firm,
but not hostile and hopeful had some success in educating this breeder.

The Bad:
Of the 9 breeders, one had OFA on both parents and could produce the
paperwork.  (another said he did, but was vague "Yeah, they all have good
hips" and
did not have the paperwork).  3 people had OFA on the stud, but not on
their
bitches.  Only one had CERF on the parents, most people did not even know
what
that was.  No one knew what Penn Hip was.  No one did hearts.  Only one
had
micro chipped his pups (guess who?)  This same gentleman had also had
elbows
done.   3 responded with "We don't really have hip problems/eye problems
in our
dogs/breed, so there is not a need to do those kind of tests."  One of
the
litters was admitted to be an "accidental" breeding of a 16 month old
male with a 3
year old bitch.  He used this to excuse his lack of OFA on the male, but
the
bitch did not have any genetic testing either.  Only two asked me
anything
about my home or dog experience.  Everyone was willing to sell me a pup.
One
woman admitted that her dogs did not hunt, but this was "a good place to
sell
pups."

The Ugly.
Two breeders were willing to knock down the price when I asked.  Of the 9

breeders, only 4 had what I would consider adequate shelter and water for
a hot,
sunny day.  Several had the dogs out in the open in x-pens without any
shade.
One had 3, 16 wk old Wiems in a metal crate with no shade or water for
the 2
hours I observed him.  For the 2 and a half hours I was there, only 3
gave
their dogs water.  Several had water sitting there, but not accessible to
the
pups during those 2 hours in the sun.  One person fell into what I might
call a
"breed for profit", or small puppy mill category.  He was selling 3
different
breeds and his card lists 9 different breeds that are available at his
kennel.
He had a large banner with prices listed in bold. The pups were on
elevated,
wire bottom rows of pens with hinged tops for easy access.  He was
clearly
there to sell and avoided detailed genetic hx questions.  I saw 2 pups
sold to
homes that clearly were pet homes and had no intention to hunt.  (I only
mention this, because Cabela's promotes that this is a service to
hunters.)  As far
as I could find out, Cabela's plans to continue to offer this program the
2nd
weekend of each month for the summer and into fall.

Summery:
Cabela's may have written policys for their puppy sellers, but they
clearly
do not police them.  They claim "We believe that overall, our standards
are
outstanding, and that we are committed to the welfare of the animals."
Do you
agree?

Susan Ablon