Hi Jill,
In our area two years ago there were fourteen incidences of lepto and the
one thing in common with these dogs were two frequently used off leash
parks in the Ottawa area, Conroy Pit and Bruce Pit. I do not use either of
these facilities but a retired brood bitch of mine was frequenting Conroy
Pit with her caretaker and we elected to vaccinate her. I split her
vaccines because she had her spleen removed following torsion some years
ago. She had no side effects at all. My other dogs are not vaccinated for
lepto (never used the old one either) and when they are walked off property
they are always on leash. We have incidence of raccoon rabies in our area
and coupled with risks of giardia if they were to drink brackish water we
elect to keep our dogs leashed. Fortunately I have a very large fenced area
at home for their free exercise. In recent times there has not been an
incident of lepto in my area but I would reassess the risk accordingly if
there were more outbreaks. I also do not leave water buckets out overnight
when the dogs are in the house.
If one is close to barns etc where rats and mice frequent again I would
assess the risk factor.

I give combo shots now every three years and bordetella annually and rabies
every three years at a time different from the combo. Puppies have their
course and booster at one year then go on the three year regimen. My older
dogs I try to calculate for their last three years and I never knowingly
vaccinate a dog that is unwell or showing stress symptoms. Older dogs are
subjected to a full blood panel and urinalysis commencing age five years
and thereafter annually. Those values help me determine my vaccination
protocols.
When I have vaccinations done the dogs are rested and not overexercised for
a couple of days following. Just part of my attempts to minimise stress
overall in their lives:-))

Rose T.