Hi all,

I just had to write....if for no other reason than to help myself calm my
frazzled nerves.  We just took my girl Jude (2yo) to a park with trails to
visit the breeder we got her from and her litter mate Abbey.  We got to the
end of the boardwalk, about a 20 minute walk.  Up to that point, Jude was
having a great time.  Not really running, just strolling.  Panting but not
looking overheated.  We'd been giving her water, etc.  All of a sudden she
started to wheeze and pant terribly.  We tried to get her cooled down enough
to get back to the car which is air conditioned but finally had to send
someone to get the car and beg a town worker to unlock the gate so they
could drive out and get her.  We then, with the help of these great folks
working on the landscaping at the park, hosed her down and raced off to the
closest vet.  By that point she was sooooo weak  Unable to walk on her own.
We are so fortunate to have had a vet so closeby, less than 5 minutes.  The
girl working at the park called ahead for us to give them the information
and the breeder drove ahead of us as well.  We got to the vets and I jumped
out of the car.  They ran her into the room, carrying her because she wasn't
able to get there on her own.  There must have been 5-6 vets and vet
assistants working on her.  Her temperature was through the roof.  They
couldn't even get a reading at first!  But they were slowly getting it back
to normal with the help of ice packs, some medications to slow her breathing
a smidge and some cool fluids by IV.  They think she'll be just fine, but my
god, I'm shaking.  I can't believe how quickly she got ill!  They say we did
all the right things for her, but I can't help thinking that if we had to go
further to make it to the vets, we'd have lost her just like that.

She's staying with the vet until later this afternoon just to get her cooled
off and under their careful watch.  I hate leaving her there.....wish I
could hold her.  I just pray that she really is better.  I'm just not going
to feel a bit better until I can see her myself.

Melissa