Could you please take me off the mailing list...thanks!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Bernese Mountain Dog Mailing List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

BERNER-L Digest 4556

Topics covered in this issue include:

1) Everything you ever wnated to know about elbows
by "Tim McNair"
2) list
by "Betsy Brainard"
3) Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about elbows
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
4) carting clinic
by "Andrea Brin"
5) Re: BERNER-L digest 4555
by "Tim McNair"
6) Re: no-pull devices
by "S. Walquist and J. Patenaude"
7) Re: BERNER-L digest 4555
by "S. Walquist and J. Patenaude"
8) Puppy Rescue
by Andie Reid
9) Lancaster Boycott
by "Pat Long & Paul Dangel"
10) Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about elbows
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
11) FYI: Articles on Health, Orthopedic evaluations, etc.
by Patricia Tackett

12) Simbo's 4th Birthday!
by "Jean Cheesman"
13) Berner is pet store
by Chris & Marjorie Cottle
14) I spoke too soon
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
15) Re: Gentle Leader
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
16) Re: BERNER-L digest 4553
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
17) Re: Gentle Leader
by "Janice Parky"
18) JUST ONE MORE DAY....
by "Dr. William B. Neff"
19) RE: BERNER-L digest 4555 - Nipping Puppy
by "Ivana Leonard"
20) RE: JUST ONE MORE DAY.... BG Fundraiser
by "Pat Long & Paul Dangel"
21) RE: JUST ONE MORE DAY.... BG Fundraiser
by "Dr. William B. Neff"
22) Re: toe sprain
by [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Tim McNair"
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Everything you ever wnated to know about elbows
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:56:54 -0700

We have a 16 month old boy with pretty bad elbow dysplasia who has just had surgery
and I thought that I'd share our experiences with you so if you're ever in this
situation it may make your decision making a bit easier.  We did a bunch of research
and saw several docs to try to figure out what's best. Bottom line--no one knows for
sure. My task was perhaps a bit easier since I could talk doc-to doc and the anatomy
is similar.

Elbow dysplasia is thought by most to be caused by incongruency between the radius and
ulna (bones in the forearm). This is thoought to be very small in teh range of a few
millimeters. This causes changes in the way weight is born on the joint leading to
wear on the cartilage in places it was not meant to wear, eventually exposing bone.

There are several procedures that have been tried to fix this--none of which work
reliably. (FWIW anytime there are multiple surgical procedures to fix a problem it
means none of them works very well.)

The first procedure was an ulnar osteotomy--cutting the ulna to shorten it thus
changing the stress on the joint. My understanding is that almost nobody does this
anymore because it doesn't work.

The current vogue is radial osteotomy--cutting the radius to shorten it (it seems to
me that it woul be pretty much the same as lengthing the ulna) . Sometimes this seems
to help. BUT and it is a huge but. You can't accurately predict wihich animal it will
help and it almost as frequently hurts. Dr. Davis at UC Davis has done a lot of
research on this. It is felt by the guys that do this that it corrects the
inconguency. Dr. Davis has done research that shows that you can't tell when a joint
is incongruent. He created incongruent joints in cadaver dogs, x-rayed them and sent
the pictures to radiologists. They were no better than chance and figuring out whether
the joint was incongruent or not. In other words the test to see whehter or not
surgery might help is NOT RELIABLE. He thinks the dogs that do get better are largely
a matter of chance. Remember we are talking about millimeters here--so if you get it
just right it works if not it doesn't---orthopedic surgery just isn't that
 precise.

Another new procedure is called an ulnar splitting osteotomy, where they split the
ulna to change the weight bearing. The folks that do this are apparantly clicquish and
have not published any data in any journals to show that the procedure actually works.
Dr Schulz is very sceptical about this since there is no published data.

The last procedure is one he has "invented" a humeral osteotomy, changing the weight
bearing at the elbow by changing the angle that the humerus impacts the elbow as I
understand it. He's been doing these for a couple of years and says he's got an 80%
success rate, but also has a 5% complete failure rate, making the joint worse. He's
still trying to figure out what makes the difference.

All 4 of these are major procedures with a long recovery time, think months. In
addition you can only do one limb at a time. A lot of rehab is needed.

Probably the best initial step, the one Dr Schulz recommends, and the way we went is
arthroscopy. First it allows you to see exactly what is going on. Second, it allows
you to remove loose bodies from the joint. If there are loose bodies they will cause
more damage if they are left behind. Third you can do both elbows at once. As he does
the procedure he makes micro-fractures in the radius with the thought of possibly
bringing stem cells to the surface and creating new cartilage. He admits that this
might be witchcraft, but feels it is worth a try. Bloom is just over 2 weeks post op
and is pretty much back to normal and has gained about 10-15 degrees of flexion in
both elbows. In another 3 or 4 weeks he can go back to normal activites.

Most importantly----NONE of the procedures cure the problem--they hope to slow it
down. The most important single thing is weight control. I thought my little guy was
pretty slim at 102--he wants him down to about 95. He uses glucosamine
chondroitin---there have been bioavailibility issues with some of preparations and
Rimadyl or other anti inflamatory as needed. If this doesn't work then he would ad
Adequan injections, followed by hyaluronidase injections in the joint. Only after
these have failed would he even think aboout humeral osteotomy. Next month he will be
putting in two sets of "total elbows" and figures that using them routinely is five or
so years off.

FWIW he has just published a text on veterinary arthroscopic surgery. The folks at
Davis were GREAT and it is a very nice town. It was well worth the 1100 mile drive
from Tacoma. FWIW the cost was around 2K--about half the price of the local guy who
was not nearly as experienced as Dr. Schulz.

If you have questions don't hesitate to ask

Tim

Tim McNair M.D.

Please respond to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tim McNair M.D.
Please respond to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
MSN 8: Get 6 months for $9.95/month.

From: "Betsy Brainard"
To: "berner-l"
Subject: list
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 06:25:30 -0400

Hi, For some reason I keep getting bumbed off
the list and I go in and resume with my e-mail address. Does anyone else have this
problem.

Betsy Brainard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 06:05:22 -0500
Subject: Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about elbows
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tim
Thanks for the interesting report and all the current options. I would
like to add another point of view here if you don't mind. Nearly 13 yrs
ago an ulnar osteotomy was done on one of my dogs at TX A&M for severe
ED. Not long after that another of my girls had elbow surgery where the
fragment and joint was simply cleaned out but nothing more was done. This
was the days prior to arthroscopic surgery and there was quite a bit of
trauma to the leg. Neither dog was ever "normal" but both led fairly long
productive (in doggy terms) lives. One lived to 11yrs and was put down
due to advanced arthritis when he could no longer get up The other to
9yrs and died of cancer.

My concerns over the years are the need to perform very expensive very
invasive procedures on a dog where the outcome is "temporary". (sorry,
surgeons are notorious for thinking everything can be fixed by a knife)
While by no means a scientist nor in a position to determine outcomes for
a large number of dogs with a given problem I have to wonder what studies
would show the long term prognosis would be for a dog that was not given
surgery but instead treated in the manner a dog will be treated post
surgery - glucosamine, chondroitin, rimadyl, adequan, and weight control.

I've seen many dogs limp and limit activity at the time of the initial
trauma caused by the incongruities of ED however over an extended period
of time there seems to be less limping and more return to normal activity
(not 100% but then that doesn't occur with surgery often either). I
wondered if what was happening was more of the mortar and pestle action
of the joint over time "grinding" down any fragments to smaller
osteocytes along with the ulna and radius returning to normal position as
the dog reached maturity. Early treatment with neutraceuticals and anti
inflammatories was done. Surgery was recommended for these dogs but due
to various circumstances postponed.

I feel that until something more permanent and effective is an available
option for dogs than the "temporary" surgeries currently being offered
the treatment of neutraceuticals and anti inflammatories, weight control,
and light to moderate ongoing exercise is an option for owners also

Susan Ablon
Gweebarra BMD
Balch Springs, Tx
http://www.pageweb.com/gwebara

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:56:54 -0700 "Tim McNair"
writes:
[...]

*  MESSAGE EXCEEDED PERMITTED LENGTH  *
*          message truncated          *