If you're going to have the user run the backup and restore on their own,
just make sure you back up the minimum that's needed (contacts, SMS, phone
call logs, etc.). You don't want any old service books, etc. being
restored to the wiped handheld. I would recommend against backing up the
calendar because it could cause duplicate entries, which happened to us on
Domino. When the user runs the enterprise activation, the calendar gets
synced anyway.

Good luck!

Anthony

"San Antonio, Arvin N" <s...@nytimes.com>
Sent by: bes-admins-boun...@dataoutages.com
05/20/2009 03:08 PM
Please respond to
"A list for BES Admin's to discuss issues,      etc."
<bes-admins@dataoutages.com>

"bes-admins@dataoutages.com" <bes-admins@dataoutages.com>
cc

Subject
[Bes-admins] migrating users from Domino to Exchange BES

First post here, although I’ve been using this list for invaluable
information.

We’re currently preparing for an Exchange migration from Notes and we have
about 1000 BB users on our Domino BES. We’re trying to figure out the most
efficient way to get these folks activated to the new Exchange BES. I
understand that since it’s  moving to a new BES platform, all units must
be wiped before getting activated to the new BES. Of course we would need
to back up the items on the units, wipe the device and then reactivate.
From a support perspective, it would just be a nightmare to have support
touch every single device for these 1000 users. We’re leaning more towards
a self-service route in which we provide the users with documentation on
the whole process. Although we’re concerned that they might lose data
during the process either because a of “user error” with the backup or
just a lack of knowledge EVEN with the documentation. We’ve also
considered of setting up a “support room” and scheduling the users to have
them come to this room and have support help them with the process. At
least with this, we can have several users at the same time attempt the
self service documents with tech support there to assist.

For those that have experienced this type of migration, please advise as
to what worked for you and  issues to expect.

Thanks in advance,

Arvin