Hi Thilakarathne,

Point #1:

What makes you think that 10 ms over 1 GB ethernet peering is any better
then 20 ms RTT over 100 GB ? I would really prefer to get routed over 100
GB peerings even if the RTT would be doubled.

Point #2:

> There is no reqirment to synchronize different administrative
> domains since router itself automatically calculate value and
> add when routes  advertised similar to AS PATH addition
> operation.

Sorry to ruin your impression about power and intelligence of routers, but
they only do what they are programmed to do.

So Jim's point about synchronizing metrics is still valid. Of course I
assume that for you the only metric you consider here are milliseconds and
therefor do not bother.

Imagine one operator chooses to use physical distance and other RTT. So in
the new attribute you will get time [ms] vs distance [miles]. Yet one more
will also use distance buy expressed in kilometers. Please elaborate how
useful such comparison will turn out to be ?

Point #3:

As you are suggesting use of ICMP to measure RTT please keep in mind that
ICMP is not high priority protocol. It may wait in the remote or local
router for processing much more then the propagation delay of the link it
arrived on.

Point #4:

How often do you plan to remeasure the eBGP propagation ? Note that today
many optical long haul transmission is hidden from ASBRs. That means that
your provider of long distance connection may at will reroute you via his
own web of fiber which does affect RTT. So it is pretty safe to assume what
you have measured yesterday today is irrelevant.

Point #5:

eBGP propagation may be few orders of magnitude less relevant as
propagation within each AS path is traversing. And except the case of few
ASes under the same administration we do not have a way to express that one
today except AIGP attribute.

So if you would like to continue your research perhaps looking at that
aspect first may be more valuable ....

Cheers,
R.