Hi Iftekhar,

We can have a phone call to go over this, if you like, I will send you my
availability in contact in a private e-mail.
From: Iftekhar Hussain <ihuss...@infinera.com<mailto:ihuss...@infinera.com>>
Date: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 10:45 AM
To: Sami Boutros <sbout...@vmware.com<mailto:sbout...@vmware.com>>
Cc: "Alvaro Retana (aretana)" <aret...@cisco.com<mailto:aret...@cisco.com>>,
Jeffrey Zhang <zzh...@juniper.net<mailto:zzh...@juniper.net>>,
"bess-cha...@ietf.org<mailto:bess-cha...@ietf.org>"
<bess-cha...@ietf.org<mailto:bess-cha...@ietf.org>>,
"bess@ietf.org<mailto:bess@ietf.org>" <bess@ietf.org<mailto:bess@ietf.org>>,
"draft-ietf-bess-evpn-v...@ietf.org<mailto:draft-ietf-bess-evpn-v...@ietf.org>"
<draft-ietf-bess-evpn-v...@ietf.org<mailto:draft-ietf-bess-evpn-v...@ietf.org>>
Subject: RE: [bess] AD Review of draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpws-07

Hi Sami,

To make my comments clear (in case it didn’t come through earlier emails), I am
summarizing my comments again.

1.       Clearly identify the role of AC and ES for point-to-point services

Sami: We clearly say the following: "Ethernet Virtual Private Line (EVPL)
service as p2p service between a pair of ACs (designated by VLANs) and Ethernet
Private Line (EPL) service, in which all traffic flows are between a single
pair of ports, that in EVPN terminology would mean a single pair of Ethernet
Segments ES(es).”
But I think you don’t find that clear, so can you propose some text that will
make it clear?

2.       Clearly identify and document the reference model for the
point-to-point services. For example, here is what I believe the model should
look like.

[cid:image002.png@01D281F8.6434A550]

Sami: We have a already a reference model similar to PWE3 in the doc, in
section 4. Not sure what the above will do, and does PWE3 have the above? If
you need the above to define some YANG data model, I would recommend adding it
to the YANG data model draft!

3.       Define an entity to toward PSN – see the picture above. Like I said
earlier, if we don’t fix it now, it is only get worse/confusing as other
extensions are added.

Sami: Can you propose some text for that? That will make it clear for you
different than what we already added.
"VPWS Service Instance: It is represented by a pair of EVPN service labels
associated with a pair of endpoints. Each label is downstream assigned and
advertised by the disposition PE through an Ethernet A-D per-EVI route. The
downstream label identifies the endpoint on the disposition PE. A VPWS service
instance can be associated with only one VPWS service identifier.”

4.       I would reiterate again – please summarize the functionality of
RFC7432 that applies to point-to-point services and which does not.  Users who
are only interested in point-to-point services, could use this document to
implement it without getting drowned information which is not relevant in such
scenarios. Point-to-point services should be treated as services in their own
wright – rather than after thought or extension of multipoint services.

Sami: And, I will repeat again, through out the document we are only talking
about only E-AD routes, which is used by EVPN-VPWS service, and when we talk
about redundancy we refer to the EVPN base for single-active and active-active,
not sure what else do you want us to say? As I said we don’t agree to list what
we don’t support from EVPN, since the list can’t predict what future extensions
will be added to EVPN.

Thanks,

Sami

Hope this makes it clear the type of updates I am looking for.

Thanks,
Iftekhar