Hi John,

We will take your feedback into account.

Thanks,
—Satya

From: "jdr...@juniper.net<mailto:jdr...@juniper.net>"
<jdr...@juniper.net<mailto:jdr...@juniper.net>>
Date: Monday, March 26, 2018 at 6:00 AM
To: satyamoh <satya...@cisco.com<mailto:satya...@cisco.com>>, Sandy Breeze
<sandy.bre...@eu.clara.net<mailto:sandy.bre...@eu.clara.net>>, "Rabadan, Jorge
(Nokia - US/Mountain View)"
<jorge.raba...@nokia.com<mailto:jorge.raba...@nokia.com>>, Eric Rosen
<ero...@juniper.net<mailto:ero...@juniper.net>>,
"bess@ietf.org<mailto:bess@ietf.org>" <bess@ietf.org<mailto:bess@ietf.org>>
Subject: RE: [bess] draft-mohanty-bess-evpn-bum-opt-00 - clarification on
problem description

Satya,

Comment inline.

Yours Irrespectively,

John

[John] Wouldn’t it be better to have this draft define a bit in the Multicast
Flags extended community
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-igmp-mld-proxy-01<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tools.ietf.org_html_draft-2Dietf-2Dbess-2Devpn-2Digmp-2Dmld-2Dproxy-2D01&d=DwMGaQ&c=HAkYuh63rsuhr6Scbfh0UjBXeMK-ndb3voDTXcWzoCI&r=-DXB84eU9m4cIlq2OOcCJCQQAwJXQQswyu3F0kG0VNo&m=rs8r_tXnIDIv9e5NNgiXOy5yYuE10r6x9al8H6FgK04&s=V42kiY3ngmDNxMKmk5GgHmy9LcMGdOXpcvbereFtUR8&e=>)
 indicating that that the originating PE is neither DF nor backup DF for this
broadcast domain on any ES to which it is attached?  This allows us to always
advertise the IMET route and makes the situation explicit.  I think the
consensus is that this situation is rare so the number of IMET route updates
shouldn’t be excessive and we could also say that this bit is only set by EVPN
DC GWs.
[Sandy] We discussed the use of extended community to signal NDF, this is
indeed a viable alternative approach and one we’re not against.  We didn’t
choose it over not sending IMET because we don’t have a good reason why not
sending IMET at an NDF is actually a bad idea, for our use case.  That said, if
the consensus of this list is to use an extended community then a flag in EVPN
extended community sub-types registry is a possible fit
[Satya] Just to make clear, the Multicast Flags extended community is only sent
with the IMET when IGMP proxy is supported. If the BD does not support
IGMP/MLD, then this won’t work as Jorge pointed out earlier (BUM with IR only).
Perhaps, if there  were available flag fields in the PMSI Tunnel attr, one
could have used it. Also, creation of a new extended community for the purpose
of this optimization looks to me to be adding extra complexity to the CP. So we
did not prefer doing that. Setting the label to 0 would have worked, but the
value 0 now has the semantics that Sandy points out below.

[JD]  I don’t think this is correct.  The IGMP Proxy draft defines the
Multicast Flags extended community, which means that your draft would need to
have a normative reference to that draft.  However, your draft would be free to
define a new bit in the extended community and indicate that support for the
that bit is not contingent upon support for the IGMP Proxy draft.