From: Ali Sajassi (sajassi) [mailto:saja...@cisco.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 5:14 AM
To: Alexander Vainshtein <alexander.vainsht...@ecitele.com>; Bocci, Matthew
(Nokia - GB) <matthew.bo...@nokia.com>
Cc: bess-cha...@ietf.org; draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-in...@ietf.org;
bess@ietf.org
Subject: Re: WG Last Call and IPR Poll for
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-integ-01.txt

Hi Sasha,

Once more thank very much for your review and your comments. Please refer to my
reply inline

From: Alexander Vainshtein
<alexander.vainsht...@ecitele.com<mailto:alexander.vainsht...@ecitele.com>>
Date: Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 4:32 AM
To: "Bocci, Matthew (Nokia - GB)"
<matthew.bo...@nokia.com<mailto:matthew.bo...@nokia.com>>
Cc: "bess-cha...@ietf.org<mailto:bess-cha...@ietf.org>"
<bess-cha...@ietf.org<mailto:bess-cha...@ietf.org>>,
"draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-in...@ietf.org<mailto:draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-in...@ietf.org>"

<draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-in...@ietf.org<mailto:draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-in...@ietf.org>>,
 "bess@ietf.org<mailto:bess@ietf.org>" <bess@ietf.org<mailto:bess@ietf.org>>,
Cisco Employee <saja...@cisco.com<mailto:saja...@cisco.com>>
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-integ-01.txt

Hi all,
Please see below some technical and editorial comments/question on the draft.

Technical:

  1.  Section 3 mentions that integration between VPLS and EVPN is “possible
(but cumbersome)” even if the brownfield VPLS service instance has been set up
without BGP-based auto-discovery. I wonder if such integration is possible even
if the VPLS PEs do not support BGP-based VPLS auto-discovery at all. (Note that
Section 3.1 says that the VPLS PEs “advertise the BGP VPLS AD route”)
Such integration is possible but cumbersome. So, I added an explanation to the
end of the sentence describing why it is cumbersome:
“In order to support seamless integration with (PBB-)VPLS PEs, this document
requires that (PBB-)VPLS PEs support VPLS AD per [RFC6074] and (PBB-)EVPN PEs
support both BGP EVPN routes per [RFC7432] and VPLS BGP-based A-D per
[RFC6074]. All the logic for this seamless integration SHALL reside on the
(PBB-)EVPN PEs. However, if a VPLS instance is setup without the use of
BGP-based A-D, it is still possible (but cumbersome) for (PBB-)EVPN PEs to
integrate into that VPLS instance by manually configuring the target VPLS PE
addresses for each VPLS instance on each (PBB-)EVPN PE (i.e., the integration
is no longer seamless).”

  1.  In Section 3.1, the draft says that, if the operator uses the same RT for
 VPLS AD routes and EVPN routes, “when a (PBB-)VPLS PE receives the EVPN
Inclusive Multicast route, it will ignore it on the basis that it belongs to an
unknown SAFI”.  This statement raises two comments:
     *   Should not “will” here be “MUST”?
I think both are correct but changed it to “MUST” to make it stronger.

     *   What if SAFI used for the EVPN Inclusive MC route is known to the
MP-BGP instance in the VPLS PE (e.g., because some EVPN instance with MAC-VRF
in this PE has been already set)? I assume that the EVPN Inclusive MC route
still MUST be ignored, but the basis for that would be that it is not
understood by the VSI that represents the VPLS instance in this PE
The VPLS PEs don’t support EVPN SAFI. If they do, then they are called EVPN
PEs. In other words, only EVPN PEs are bi-lingual (can speak both EVPN and VPLS
languages).

  1.  The text in Section 4.2.1 says that if, following MAC move from an EVPN
PE to a VPLS PE, it initiates BUM traffic, this traffic is flooded to both VPLS
and EVPN PEs and “the receiving PEs update their MAC tables (VSI or MAC-VRF)”.
However, Section 3.2 says that MAC addresses received by the EVPN PE via PWs
from VPLS PEs are “not injected into (PBB-)EVPN MAC-VRF tables but rather they
are injected into their corresponding (PBB-)VPLS VSI table”. These two
statements look mutually contradictory to me. (See also my editorial comment
about having both MAC-VRF and VSI MAC table in the EVPN PE).
In general, the MAC addresses learned over PWs should be injected into the
MAC-VRF but depending on whether the PW is access-facing or core-facing, it
will or will not be advertised in control-plane. So, I updated the paragraph in
section 3.2 to the following:
“When the (PBB-)EVPN PE receives traffic over the pseudowires, it learns the
associated MAC addresses in the data-plane. The MAC addresses learned over PWs
are injected into (PBB-)EVPN MAC-VRF table. For seamless integration between
(PBB-)EVPN and (PBB-)VPLS PEs, since the core-facing PWs belongs to the same
split-horizon group as the core-facing MP2P EVPN service tunnels, then the MAC
addresses learned and associated to the PWs will NOT be advertised in the
control plane to any remote (PBB-)EVPN PEs. This is because every (PBB-)EVPN PE
can send and receive traffic directly to/from every (PBB-)VPLS PE belonging to
the same VPN instance.”

Editorial:

  1.  Section 2,  item 6 states that “The solution SHOULD support All-Active
redundancy mode of multi-homed networks and multi-homed devices for (PBB-)EVPN
PEs. In case of All-Active redundancy mode, the participant VPN instances
SHOULD be confined to (PBB-)EVPN PEs only”. My reading of this is that
All-Active redundancy mode is not compatible with seamless integration of VPLS
and EVPN in the same service (hardly any surprises here). If my understanding
is correct, All-Active redundancy mode seems to be out of scope for this draft.
Your understanding is correct. Rephrased the sentence to:
“6. The support of All-Active redundancy mode across both (PBB-)EVPN PEs and
(PBB-)VPLS PEs is outside the scope of this document.”

  1.  RT Constraint is mentioned in Section 3.1 without any references. I
suggest to add an Informational reference to RFC 4684.
Done.

  1.  The text about MAC learning from PWs in Section 3.2 seems to suggest that
the service instance in an (PBB-)EVPN PE is represented by both a dedicated
MAC-VRF and a dedicated VSI. However, this issue is not explicitly presented
anywhere in the draft.  Some text and diagrams would be most welcome IMHO
To remove any ambiguity, VSI is now limited to (PBB-)VPLS PEs only – i.e.,
(PBB-)EVPN PEs only use MAC-VRF.

  1.  Section 3.3.1:  It seems that the title includes some of the content.
Corrected.

  1.  Section 3.3.2 has a very long title and no content at all. (For
comparison, parallel sections 4.3.2 and 5.3.2 have short titles and some
content each).
Corrected.

  1.  In section 4.2.1, a MAC address that moves from an EVPN PE to a VPLS PE
is not qualified, but a MAC address that moved from a VPLS PE to an EVPN PE is
referred to as a “host MAC address”. I suggest to align the terminology between
these two cases.
Now Using “C-MAC” for both of them.

  1.  Abbreviation MHN and MHD appear in Section 6 without any expansion or
definition. (Looking them up in the Web did not yield anything suitable either).
Added to terminology section.

Hopefully, these comments will be useful, and the authors’ feedback would be
highly appreciated.
Your feedbacks are great! Thank you for taking the time in reading the draft
thoroughly and giving these feedbacks.

Regards,
Ali

Regards, and lots ofthanks in advance,
Sasha

Office: +972-39266302
Cell:      +972-549266302
draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-integ-01.txt

Thanks for the quick turnaround.

Folks, please focus any further review and comments on the new v02 of the draft:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-vpls-seamless-integ/

Regards

Matthew