From: Alexander Vainshtein <alexander.vainsht...@ecitele.com>
Date: Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 7:00 AM
To: Patrice Brissette <pbris...@cisco.com>, "hs...@ciena.com"
<hs...@ciena.com>, "jorge.raba...@nokia.com" <jorge.raba...@nokia.com>,
"ing-wher_c...@jabil.com" <ing-wher_c...@jabil.com>, "ihuss...@infinera.com"
<ihuss...@infinera.com>, "kisho...@juniper.net" <kisho...@juniper.net>
Cc: "bess@ietf.org" <bess@ietf.org>
Subject: Questions about the EVPN YANG data model draft

Dear Editors of the EVPN YANG data model
draft<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-yang-05>,
I have several questions regarding the draft, and would highly appreciated your

1.       The -05 version of the draft has expired almost two months ago. Do you
plan to refresh it any time soon?

2.       The draft consistently uses type uint32 for the Ethernet segment
identifier (ESI), while RFC 7432 explicitly defines it as a 10-octet integer.
Is this just a typo, or did I miss something substantial here?

3.       The draft states that it covers Integrated Routing and Bridging in
EVPN, but I could not find any traces of such coverage. Did I miss something,
or is just a forward declaration for the future version of the draft?

4.       RFC 7432 states that “When a customer site is connected to one or more
PEs via a set of Ethernet links, then this set of Ethernet links constitutes an
Ethernet segment". The Virtual Ethernet Segment
draft<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-virtual-eth-segment-00>
expands this definition and, so that virtual Ethernet Segments can be comprised
of:

·         Ethernet Virtual Circuits aggregated on an ENNI physical ports

·         Ethernet PWs or even MPLS LSPs.
Can you please clarify the following:

a.       How does the proposed YANG data model differentiate between physical
and virtual Ethernet Segments?

b.       Does this data model cover the scenario where the virtual Ethernet
segments are represented by EVCs?

5.       RFC 7432 includes recommendations for usage (or non-usage) of the
Control Word in the EVPN encapsulation, and RFC 8214 (which is claimed to be
covered by this draft) provides a control plane mechanism for exchanging the CW
usage information. Can you please clarify whether the draft cover usage of the
CW in the EVPN encapsulations?
Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Regards, and lots of thanks in advance,
Sasha

Office: +972-39266302
Cell:      +972-549266302
Email:   alexander.vainsht...@ecitele.com

This e-mail message is intended for the recipient only and contains information
which is
CONFIDENTIAL and which may be proprietary to ECI Telecom. If you have received
this
transmission in error, please inform us by e-mail, phone or fax, and then
delete the original
and all copies thereof.