On January 15, 2019 at 7:49:53 AM, Rabadan, Jorge (Nokia - US/Mountain
View) (jorge.raba...@nokia.com) wrote:

Jorge:

Hi!

(b) Form that text, what I get is that a new algorithm can define the
meaning
of the bits. Is that correct? If so, (1) s/a specific DF Alg MAY determine
the use/a specific DF Alg MUST/SHOULD determine the use ...and... (2) for DF

Algs 0 and 1, what happens if any of the other bits are set?
[JORGE] the use of the reserved bits for any future DF Alg is optional, so,
a MAY should be fine? I changed the text to:

The use of the bits is optional, yes.  But because each DF Alg may use the
bits in a different way, I think that each DF Arg MUST specify how the bits
are used.  If there’s no use for the bits, then a future DF Alg should
still specify how they are used: ignored when received.

"- In general, a specific DF Alg MAY determine the use of the
reserved bits in the Extended Community, which may be used in a
different way for a different DF Alg. In particular, for DF Algs
0 and 1, the reserved bits are not set by the advertising PE and
SHOULD be ignored by the receiving PE."

Maybe if you changed the “In particular…” text to apply to every DF Alg
(unless specifically specified in the future) then I think we could be ok
with a MAY above.

BTW, why only SHOULD and not MUST?

(5) §3.2: "if even a single advertisement for the type-4 route is not
received
with the locally configured DF Alg and capability, the Default DF Election
algorithm (modulus) algorithm MUST be used" Given that the PEs advertise
only
their preferred algorithm/capability, it is possible that it also supports
other algorithm/capability combinations, which may have been advertised. I
assume that it is up to the implementation if they want to update their
advertisement. Do you want to say anything about this? Are there potential
downsides to an implementation changing their preferred combination?
[JORGE] If the advertised ext community is not consistent across all the
PEs in the Ethernet Segment, the DF Alg falls back to the default DF Alg.
This is added in this section and also in the security section. Besides
these two bullets have been modified for clarity and completeness. Let us
know if you are not ok with it.
"- Otherwise if even a single advertisement for the type-4 route is
received without the locally configured DF Alg and capability, the Default
DF Election algorithm (modulus) algorithm MUST be used as in [RFC7432].
This procedure handles the case where participating PEs in the ES disagree
about the DF algorithm and capability to apply.
- The absence of the DF Election Extended Community or the presence of
multiple DF Election Extended Communities (in the same route) MUST be
interpreted by a receiving PE as an indication of the Default DF Election
algorithm on the sending PE, that is, DF Alg 0 and no DF Election
capabilities."

Yes, that text is fine with me.

The comment I tried to make above is different.  Let me try to give an
example — let’s assume that 3 algorithms have been defined: the default and
2 more (A1 and A2).  Let’s assume that all PEs support all the algorithms,
and that all, except 1 prefer A1 — the other router (R2) prefers A2..  In
this scenario neither A1 nor A2 will be used…  My question above was along
the lines of: if R2 prefers A2, then A1 and then the default…then it can
advertise A1 once it sees that all other PEs prefer that…resulting in
something better than the default.

(6) The HRW1999 reference must be Normative.
[JORGE] please check out the discussion with Adrian and Satya related to
this, where Adrian recommended to move it to informative references.
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/bess/current/msg03740.html

I don’t think that was Adrian’s intent when he said: "HRW1999 is provided
as a normative reference, and from the text I can see why.”

In any case, I think the reference has to be Normative because HRW "must be
read to...implement the technology in the new RFC”.

https://www.ietf.org/blog/iesg-statement-normative-and-informative-references/

Thanks!

Alvaro.