Ali,

Thanks for your replies.

On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 9:06 PM Ali Sajassi (sajassi) <saja...@cisco.com> wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> Thanks for your comments and sorry to missed them in first place, please see
> my replies in line marked w/ [AS]:
>
> On 7/14/20, 11:22 PM, "Erik Kline via Datatracker" <nore...@ietf.org> wrote:
>
>     Erik Kline has entered the following ballot position for
>     draft-ietf-bess-evpn-inter-subnet-forwarding-09: Discuss
>

>     ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>     DISCUSS:
>     ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>     [ general ]
>
>     * Can you give an example of what happens to non-IPv4/IPv6 Ethernet
> packets
>       received at the NVE/PE?  Do they get bridged, and if so how far?  What
>       happens if a host in BT1 ARPs for IPv4 address associated with a TS in
>       a different BT?
>
> [AS] L2 packet (non-ARP/ND packet) gets bridged; however, ARP/ND packets from
> the host for its IP default GW gets terminated at the PE and process by it.
> Section 4.1 describes this in details and it provides an example of it at the
> bottom of the section. Since the PE acts as the IP default GW for the host,
> all packets to other TSes in other subnets gets forwarded to the PE (to its
> IP default GW).
>
>     * Where there are multiple prefixes in an IP-VRF, is there a constraint
> that
>       any other IP-VRF that contains one of the prefixes must contain all of
> them?
>       Perhaps that's in 7432...?
>
> [AS] IP and MAC addresses for a given host is advertised with its
> corresponding Route Targets as described at the bottom of section 3, and in
> sections 5.2, 6.2 9.1.1, and 9.2.1. Any PE that has an IP-VRF for that
> tenant/host, imports the IP route into its VRF upon receiving it.
>
>     [ sections 4, 5.4, 5.4, 6.3, 6.4, 9.1.2, 9.2.2 ]
>
>     * Please document what happens to IPv4 TTL/IPv6 Hop Limit values as they
>       cross various NVEs/PEs.
>
> [AS] Added the following to section 4:
> "It should be noted that whenever a PE performs a host IP lookup for a packet,
>    IPv4 TTL or IPv6 hop limit for that packet is decremented by one and if it
>    reaches zero, the packet is discarded. In case of symmetric IRB, the
> TTL/hop
>    limit is decremented by both ingress and egress PEs (once by each);
> whereas,
>    in case of asymmetric IRB, the TTL/hop limit is decremented only once by
> the
>    ingress PE."

I don't quite understand what this text should be telling me.  IPv6
Neighbor Solicitations must be sent with a Hop Limit of 255 (4861
S4.3) and "HL==255" is a validation check performed on receipt (4861
S7.1.1).  The same goes for the Neighbor Advertisement replies.

I think your answers above clarifying the mixed routing and bridging
situation (depending on configuration) probably address my original
concern (that NS/NA HLs would not get decremented since they're
bridged; when they're routed they obviously can't be forwarded).  If
that's true, it might be better to undo this particular paragraph
addition, and I apologize for my confusion.

> [AS] I also added similar sentences to sections 5.4, 5.5, 6.3, and 9.1.2, and
> 9.2.2. This addition is not applicable to section 6.4.
>
>     [ section 7 ]
>
>     * The two statements:
>
>       (1) "Although the language used in this section is for IPv4 ARP,
>           it equally applies to IPv6 ND."
>
>       (2) "If there is [a] many-to-one relationship such that there are many
> host
>           IP addresses correspond[ing] to a single host MAC address ..., then
>           detect host mobility, the procedures in [IRB-EXT-MOBILITY] must be
>           exercised..."
>
>       are in direct conflict.  All IPv6 hosts having at least one
> non-link-local
>       unicast address will have more than one IP address per MAC and this
> section,
>       or even this document, would not apply?
>
> [AS] I modified the paragraph to call out non-link-local address for IPv6
> explicitly:
>
> “If there is many-to-one relationship such that there are many host IP
>    addresses (non-link-local unicast addresses for IPv6)
>    corresponding to a single host MAC address or there are many host MAC
> addresses
>    corresponding to a single IP address (non-link-local unicast address for
> IPv6),
>    then to detect host mobility, the procedures in
>    <xref target="I-D.ietf-bess-evpn-irb-extended-mobility"/>
>    must be exercised followed by the procedures described below.”

It's not clear to me that IPv6 link-local addresses need to be called
out explicitly.  I simply meant that for IPv6 nodes would likely have
at least two addresses (one LL, one GUA).

Thanks for the reference to the extended mobility doc.