Hi Satya,

Please see inline..

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 8:37 AM Satya Mohanty (satyamoh) <satya...@cisco.com>
wrote:

> Hi Tulasi and Muthu,
>

> Yes, the numeric value here refers to the 4byte or 16byte unsigned value
> representation of the IP address field.
>
> Maybe in the 7432-bis this can be stated explicitly.

Agree, this is important to clarify in 7432-bis and simple to fix in
implementations that don't compare IPv4 and IPv6 addresses this way for
default DF election algo..

> We did envision this possibility in RFC 8584 (the HRW hash already takes
> care of the fact that the IP address could be either IPV4 or IPV6).
>

> However, with respect to deployment do you have a case in mind of this
> “mixed v4/v6” that will necessitate such a tie-break?
>
> I mean one of the MH PEs has an ipv4 originator address and the other a v6
> originator address.

Yes, in a dual-stack environment, there could be multihomed PEs running (1)
BGP over IP4 w/ IPv4 NH, (2) BGP over IPv6 w/ IPv4 NH, (3) BGP over IPv6 w/
IPv6 NH, say connected thru' an RR in control plane, and all part of the
same ES group. In this case, the Originating Router's IP address in the ES
route could be an IPv4 or IPv6 address (implementation specific)..

Regards,
Muthu