IMO we could add to the draft a statement that implementation MUST/SHOULD
support fallback to any available forwarding plane. But I am not sure if
this will not turn out against some implementations which may have problem
with that.

Order of such fallback is a policy/cfg decision.

Likewise before considering any forwarding plane use a data plane
reachability to the endpoint must be validated/tested - that should go
without saying but as we know there are implementations which only rely on
a control plane which is proven in action to be a rather poor method. There
are number of reasons where presence in RIB/inet does is not the same as
data plane reachability .

Thx,
Robert.