Hi Linda, Loa,

Consider a traditional 5G deployment with all necessary NFs, including a
central UPF. SMF signals to the UPF on N4 interface. AMF signals to gNBs on N2
interface. The N3 transport (between gNBs and the UPF) is via an IPVPN over a
transport infrastructure. There are PEs next to the gNBs and the UPF. The PEs
are not 3GPP functions.

Now replace that UPF with the following: MUP controller, a group of MUP GWs and
a MUP PE. The MUP GWs are just the previous PEs next to the gNBs. The MUP PE is
just the previous PE next to the replaced UPF. The UPF is no longer needed, but
from SMF and gNB's point of view it is still there.

With this replacement, there is no N2/N4 change. gNBs still send GTP packets to
the old UPF address; it's just that the GTP packets will be intercepted by the
GWs as if the UPF address is a local one. They still receive GTP packets as if
being sent from the previous UPF.

The BGP signaling translates N4 signaling to BGP messages. The N4 signaling
could include the UE addresses that are managed by the SMF; it could also be
that the previous central UPF was managing the UE addresses itself. In either
case, the MUP controller will signal the UE addresses (as host routes) to the
MUP GWs - whether assigned by the SMF or assigned by the MUP controller (if the
addresses were managed by the UPF before).

Jeffrey

Juniper Business Use Only