From: BESS <bess-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Alexander Vainshtein
<alexander.vainsht...@rbbn.com>
Date: Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 12:33 AM
To: draft-zzhang-bess-vpn-option-bc.auth...@ietf.org
<draft-zzhang-bess-vpn-option-bc.auth...@ietf.org>
Cc: bess@ietf.org <bess@ietf.org>, Nitsan Dolev <nitsan.do...@rbbn.com>
Subject: [bess] Comments on the VPN Inter-AS Option BC draft

CAUTION: This is an external email. Please be very careful when clicking links
or opening attachments. See the URL nok.it/ext for additional information.

Hi,
A few comments on the VPN Inter-AS Option BC
draft<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-zzhang-bess-vpn-option-bc-00>
that has been presented at the BESS WG session in SF last Thursday.

I think that the draft presents an elegant and much needed solution for real
problem.
I fully agree with the statement in the draft that “Option BC” combines the
advantages and mitigates the disadvantages of both classic “Option B” and
“classic” Option C.
I also think that “Option BC” provides a viable alternative to both emerging
solutions for intent-driven service mapping  (BGP Classful Transport
Planes<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ct-12> and BGP
Color-Aware
Routing<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-car-02>),
because it is possible to set up intent=aware inter-AS/inter-domain tunnels for
“colored” services based on the color of the original service routes.

At the same time, I think that:

1.       As mentioned during the session, Inter-AS Option B for EVPN has its
own issues (documented in the EVPN Inter-Domain Option B
draft<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-rabadan-bess-evpn-inter-domain-opt-b-01>),
 and these issues fully apply to “Option BC”

2.       The draft defines two possible solutions, one based on the Tunnel
Encapsulation Attribute (TEA, RFC
9012<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc9012>) and the other based on
ability to carry multiple labels in the NLRI of “labeled” routes as defined in
RFC 8277<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8277>:

a.       My guess (FWIW) is that these solutions are not interoperable and,
therefore, ability to support each of these options should be advertised using
appropriate Capability Codes

b.       In the TEA-based solution the draft mentions “Composite Tunnel”, but
there is no mention of composite tunnels in RFC 9012.  From my POV:

       i.      Specific tunnel type (one of the types defined in the IANA
Tunnel Types
registry<https://www.iana.org/assignments/bgp-tunnel-encapsulation/bgp-tunnel-encapsulation.xhtml>)
 should be specified, or a request for allocating a new tunnel type should be
added to the next revision of the document

     ii.      I wonder if MPLS Encapsulation Tunnel type and the Label Stack
Sub-TLV can be used in the TEA-based solution. My guess is that this would
require an update to RFC 8365<https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8365.html>

Hopefully these issues will be addressed in the next revision of the draft.

My 2c,
Sasha

Disclaimer

This e-mail together with any attachments may contain information of Ribbon
Communications Inc. and its Affiliates that is confidential and/or proprietary
for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, disclosure, reliance or
distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately and then delete all copies, including any attachments.