HI Neeraj,

Many thanks for the updates, the text is more clear now.
I’ll do the write up and proceed.

Stephane

From: Neeraj Malhotra (nmalhotr) <nmalh...@cisco.com>
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2023 11:31 PM
To: slitkows.i...@gmail.com; Stephane Litkowski (slitkows)
<slitk...@cisco.com>; draft-ietf-bess-evpn-irb-extended-mobil...@ietf.org;
bess@ietf.org
Cc: bess-cha...@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Chair review of draft-ietf-bess-evpn-irb-extended-mobility-15

Hi Stephane,

Thanks for catching all of these – have addressed them in rev17.

Regarding,

Section 5.1:
[SLI] I have a philosophical issue with the parent/child relationship you
describe. If MAC is parent of MAC-IP, how could MAC be truly optional as a
child cannot exist without its parent.

[NM]: child -> parent relationship explained in “section 5.1 Sequence number
Inheritance” is a local view of a PE that *does* maintain both local MAC and
local MAC-IP routes with corresponding sequence number attributes. Local MAC
itself is NOT optional on a PE. It is only a separate advertisement of this MAC
to other PEs that is optional (since the MAC reachability is already signaled
together with MAC-IP route). I have updated the text in “section 3.1 Optional
MAC Only RT-2” and “section 5.1 Sequence number Inheritance” to explicitly
clarify this. Hope, this makes sense.

Thanks,
Neeraj