From: Alexander Vainshtein
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2024 2:01 PM
To: rfc9...@ietf.org
Cc: bess@ietf.org
Subject: rfc9251

Hi all,
I have a question regarding expected DP behavior in conjunction with RFC 9521:
Are the PEs that support this RFC expected to decrement TTL in IP headers of
multicast IP packets they forward?

This question is equally applicable to the "last mile" PEs that have received
IGMP/MLD Joins and advertised them as SMET routes, and to the "first mile" PEs
that receive and install these SMET routes.

The context for this question is my understanding that multicast IP traffic
that is forwarded based on IMET route (e.g., to the PEs that have not
advertised ability to advertise SMET routes)   does not undergo TTL decrement.

I have failed to find an answer to my question in the text of RFC 9251.

Your timely feedback would be highly appreciated.

Regards, and lots of thanks in advance,
Sasha

Disclaimer

This e-mail together with any attachments may contain information of Ribbon
Communications Inc. and its Affiliates that is confidential and/or proprietary
for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, disclosure, reliance or
distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
immediately and then delete all copies, including any attachments.