Installing today's nightly overwrites the default.map file and doesn't
appear to create a backup of the original file. Fortunately I'd taken a
copy of mine before I upgraded. Can't the installer not overwrite this
file if it exists (unless anything has been added to the
default.map??).

Well, that's why you should use the custom.map for customization. The default.map will always contain the default settings. If the default changes, the file will change. If you want your own settings, add a custom.map to the same IR folder. The custom file will not be overwritten.

--

Michael