First problem was that it could not see my network drive when linked to
in the form X:\SB_Shortcut. I used \\Music\maxtorot3\SB_Shortcut and all
worked (Slimserver is running under my personal administrator account).

This is normal for any server run on Windows as a service (check the FAQ for an explanation). Services can't see your drive mappings.

However, I have nearly 1000 albums on this drive but even though I
tried scanning three times (full rescan) it could only index 182 albums
(but oddly the artists count was very high).

Please check the permissions on the folders containing the missing albums/songs.

BTW. My 6.5 version of SlimServer does not always seem able to start
when I reboot the PC either.

You're really not supposed to use 6.5. This is the most unstable version available anywhere. If you just want to use your squeezebox, stick with 6.3.

--

Michael