Ok, some progress and answers. It's a (very) edge case issue with LMS.

1) Perl min requirement is 5.24.0-0065. (per
SqueezeCenter/conf/PKG_DEPS). I should be good.
2) Ports are the same: 3483, 9002, 9090

I *assume* that the two Perl instances listening on 3483 are for
each device.
3) there was no 3. :eek:
4) VLANs.  Yep, that's it.  Looks like LMS isn't predictable when
multi-homed (on a server that is on multiple VLANs).

I'll document the problem here but don't expect anyone else will have a
anything comparable.  You'll see why.
This is all in a private residence.

Synology server:
On several VLANs.  I'll talk about 3:
- Media: 100 - media devices (streamers, TVs, etc). Firewalls on
server/network are opened only for these devices explicit requirements
- Management 150 - for management, locked in all firewalls.
- Corporate 125 - used for a Corporate network that has a separate
router/firewall.

No device can route to this network. The server is on this
network as an endpoint only from clients on that network.

Squeezebox Clients:
- All Squeezebox clients are physically on the Media VLAN (assigned by
switch port/SSID).
- When I configure the clients, I explicitly tell them that the music
source IP (LMS) address on the media VLAN.

I can browse to LMS on port 9002 on any VLAN that has that port open
(most).

Here's the problem:
LMS grabs an address for itself off of the server that may not be valid
for the clients.

In my case it is different than the address I configure when I setup the
clients.  I can't figure out why LMS is choosing the network it is, but
for me it selected the non route-able Corporate network (perhaps since
its on a 192.168 address range? The others are 10.x.x.x nets)

Why can clients access LMS for browsing music, selecting apps, screen
saver settings, etc. Not sure, but I assume clients use the configured
LMS address for that functionality.
Why do Pandora/BBC play?  It appears that they get the Pandora/BBC
address from LMS then directly connect to that source.  Since my media
VLAN allows that, they play fine.
Why doesn't local music play?  In my case, LMS is telling the clients
that it's address is on an unreachable network.  So when the clients try
to get music, it appears that they try to connect directly to the IP
address that LMS tells them it is on (not the client configured address)
and they can't get to the server.

Why this worked before, through multiple reboots of all devices/servers
involved, I don't know.

Only question is this: is there a parameter or way to tell LMS what
network address it should advertise it has to the clients?