mherger wrote:
> What would such a clean up do which the regular scan shouldn't already
> be doing?...

It was just an idea to keep the "new&changed" quick (and I like it to be
this quick ;)) to "outsource" options like looking for orphaned entries
in a separate routine You only use once a week or once a month... (the
"n&c" I use daily).

mherger wrote:
> I think we have to clearly identify the open issues we
> have. Some of them already are on Github (eg.
> https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/issues/547). Can we compile a
> complete list, with easy descriptions to reproduce the issue?

OK, for now I have 3 main issues (I started to look into the sqlite
myself to get some "idea" where they result from, but I'm really not an
expert ;-))

1. Artists without any tracks in the database are still listed and still
linked to their "old" entries

(I just reproduced this by looking in the db and found the reason - the
misspelled name ("Beetles") was still in another track tagged with
anouther contributor role (composer). So it still had an ID in
contributors - and was linked in contributor_track just to this ONE
track (after correcting the composers spelling it was gone). But the
main problem is, that as long as the contributor id is "active" there
seems to be still a connection to "old" entries, where it was mentioned
before (couldn't see where it resulted from, now it's gone - will keep
an eye when it happens again)

2. Chaning capitalization / lower case in FILENAME leads to double
entries

(I can reproduce this issue ONLY if the filename is changed - changing
capitalization in another tag (e.g. track, artist) seems to work fine)

3. Adding tracks to an existing albums result in two albums of the same
name

(Happens when You add tracks from a deluxe edition e.g.:
- Standard edition is in database (one album, 10 tracks) => all fine
- You add track 11-13 from the deluxe edition: SAME (windows) folder,
SAME album name, SAME year, SAME album artist, SAME compilation tag
eg...)  => You have TWO albums of the same name and artist in Your db,
one with track 1-10 , the other one with track 11-13)

Many thanks for caring
Frank

Once we have a good understanding of what was wrong we can look into how

to fix the issues. I believe if they were easy to fix, this would have
happened long before. But maybe we could indeed simply add a purely
database based cleanup step, eg. figure out orphaned entries etc.

> There are a few more "bugs" (e.g. the "Windows bug" (I know, it is
> caused by windows and not by LMS, but it's frustrating) of being not
> case sensitive (e.g. If You correct a file name from "...beatles..."
> "...Beatles..." You have TWO entries in Your database, pointing to
the
> same file (one with small letter, one with capital letter)...

Could probably be tweaked to behave better, too.