Saving to an intermediate file format is not part of "modifying the look of
an image in a creative manner" in my opinion. I can not find public
discussion about using looks for other purposes.

I agree Blender OCIO integration has limitations, but I'm not sure how
integrating looks in a different way would help improve the UI.

Anyway, it was relatively easy to change Filmic to work with looks this way
before, it should be possible to keep it working the same.