The line breaks you see are introduced by the mail program (on either
side), you'll have to properly rewrite the template yourself as
appropriate.

The tags are just placeholderd, so just add a newline at the end of
the item, which is just before the last </$publications> tag. If you
want the newlines only in between the items (instead of also after
the last item), you can use an  extra<?$publication> tag as in

<$publications>
template for item without newline<?$publications>
separator between items, this can be a newline
</$publications>

See the Help or the Wiki for details.

BTW, if you are using one of the latest nightlies, you can also use
@componentsJoinedByCommaAndAmpersandWithSingleEtAlAfterFive or
@componentsJoinedByCommaAndAmpersandWithEtAlAfterSix, which more
correctly reproduces the APA style for citations and citation lists
respectively.

And you could use the template editor in the latest nightlies.

Christiaan