Yeah, I thought about that.
But might it not be feasible to add it as an additional option?
For example, I could think of a set of optional third (or, for %A%P, fourth)
brackets with a number, with the meaning
"max number of authors if etal is present"
*%a[,][etal][1]20*
*%A[,][,][etal][1]20*

This wouldn't interfere with how people currently construct their format
(with the sole exception if there was someone who needs a literal
"[number]" after that expression and hasn't escaped it with "\["
which is highly unlikely.

Maybe I'm the only one who would appreciate that, but I could see that a
lot of us who work in fields that use author-date citation styles such as
Chicago, APA, etc. would find really helpful and more intuitive, as we
could construct citekeys for two-author-works that would be specific on the
second author but without having to deal with unnecessarily long keys
firstauthor,second,etal_1990 for works by three or more authors.

Jan