http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/top/311475

Interesting article.  A lot of this highlights the widespread problem of
bicycle/ped facilities being considered/implemented after everything
else in a school/neighborhood design is in place.  I am also a little
concerned with how school staff overemphasize that students need to use
paths.

My choice quote:

"I think our problem will be solved with the bike path" planned for the
area. However, that won't be completed until more homes are built, she
said."

Isn't it odd that roads-aplenty are built before homes go in, but there
seems to be a disinclination to adhere to a similar policy for bike
paths.