David,

You are exactly correct about the problem that formerly existed. However, if
anyone had asked, my proposed solution would be to revoke the driver's licenses
of the offending motorists, and to impound their vehicles. Including at least
one police car I saw in the bike lane.

As a compromise, I would have settled for simply ticketing them.

The current 'solution' doesn't address the real problem, which is careless
driving. I've already had several cars cross over in front of me, across the
solid white lines (as opposed to behind me, across the dashed lines).

Unless the city is willing to ticket these drivers, all that engineering isn't
going to make me feel safe.

The current striping might be consistent with some definition of 'standard'.
But I doubt that such a standard takes into account the pod people from the
sprawl-burbs who have an overt hostility to the spandex crowd that frequents
this road.

Also, in the south-bound lane, motorists routinely cut the corner as the road
curves about 50 feet south of the intersection, cutting into the bike lane.

--
=====
darin