Way too many things to quote and it gets way too difficult to read with the long string of quoted text, so I'll just add.....

I think throwing wacky technological fixes (dimmer buttons on the handlebars, etc.) is a bit over the top. We got enough gadgetry to tack on a sublimely simple machine (I refer to the bicycle) without adding another device that will take up precious real estate on the handle bars and eventually break anyway. A good headlight seems pretty effective. Seems to me that headlamps have served bikers for over a hundred years - and it was a heckuva lot darker then.

Perhaps the best civic solution for the path is one that, in a small way, is already in place there. At erratic intervals, there are stiff plasticky things (36" posts?) with mile markers and a bit of reflective tape. I think they might be for snow removal. Perhaps the city could add a few dozen more of these relatively inexpensive and low tech posts with reflective tape on either side. With even a low beam headlight (I used to have some really crappy ones) these reflectors just POP... especially if the headlamp is on blink. In the dark they were very comforting - knowing where the edge was. I'm not moving too fast when it's that dark.

don't want to miss anything.

Mark
_______________________________________________
Bikies mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org

Reply via email to