It should be noted that this is not a new study per se, but a
meta-analysis, that is, the author analyzed a lot of other studies and
summarized their findings. Rune Elvik did the same thing a couple years
back and came to very different conclusions:
http://www.cycle-helmets.com/elvik.pdf
It'll require some careful reading to see how they each reached their
different conclusions.

 Harald.