Agreed. Let’s throw out a whole decade as an anomaly. But one year is very
significant, despite all sorts of other indicators that the flatline decade is
the new normal, and a very slight, very recent increase is the anomaly.

Younger people are driving less, and fewer are getting cars (or even drivers’
licenses) than in the past. The opposite is true of the older generation, but,
like all of us, they will have to stop driving eventually.

http://time.com/money/4185441/millennials-drivers-licenses-gen-x/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/01/19/drivers-licenses-uber-lyft/78994526/

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/01/the-decline-of-the-drivers-license/425169/

and for those of you writing all of the above off as some sort of skewed media,
here’s the Wall Street Journal, that bastion of liberal bias:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/driving-losing-its-allure-for-more-americans-1453285801

Oh, and the US PIRG, which I think is admirably neutral, but if it has a bias,
surely leans more conservative than not:
http://www.uspirg.org/reports/usp/millennials-motion

or maybe not all of the older generation is actually driving more, perhaps it’s
just that there’s more boomers becoming elderly than there are people in the
younger cohorts.
http://www.npr.org/2016/02/11/466178523/like-millennials-more-older-americans-steering-away-from-driving