Biking up 78 percent on nine blocks of Oakland’s Telegraph Ave where protected
bike lanes were installed (and through travel lanes for MVs reduced to one in
each direction, plus parking and turn lanes).  Walking up 100%. Crashes DOWN
40%, median speed of MV traffic is now (drumroll) the speed limit.

http://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/entry/biking-walking-soar-collisions-plummet-along-oaklands-protected-bike-lanes

retail sales increased as well, thanks to new businesses opening along a more
attractive commercial corridor (that sees more traffic, when people are counted
as traffic, and not just cars).

“Telegraph’s new design has flaws, many of which the city is trying to address.”

Perhaps instead of spending so much effort arguing why protected lanes on our
commercial thoroughfares (like Monroe St) won’t work, or how our situation
differs from retrofits elsewhere, we should spend more effort figuring out how
to make it work. And then reap some of those benefits while we improve those
parts of the retrofit that aren’t ideal.

Chuck Strawser
Pedestrian & Bicycle Transportation Planner
Commuter Solutions
UW-Madison Transportation Services

Please note that my email address has changed. My new email is
charles.straw...@wisc.edu<mailto:charles.straw...@wisc.edu>

Visit our University Bicycle Resource Center at Helen C White:
http://transportation.wisc.edu/transportation/bike_annex.aspx

How are we doing? Take our customer satisfaction survey at :
https://uwmadison.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9ueiD7rE9bS60Tz