Respect to John for cheerfully making good.

I'm also concerned about cell phone use on moving bicycles, which is not
the same as saying that I've never done it. As far as I can tell, it's
legal pretty much everywhere save Holland. Let's guess that that's a
recognition that a distracted cyclist is less of a hazard to others than a
distracted driver, but it's still a boneheaded move with risks to others.
(Or if you have a head that's entirely bone, it might be okay - few of us
do. However...) Lots of jurisdictions have mandatory helmet laws, which are
entirely for the benefit of the riders (and those who pay their medical
costs) - why not laws that also protect other road users? Using a cellphone
while driving in my jurisdiction costs a first-time offender a total of
more than $400US, plus a whole whack of points - why not $50 or $100 for an
offending cyclist?

S. Rose