At Sat, 2 Aug 2008 17:21:31 +0100,
James Ponder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm confused why Bind would accept the g.www.ms.akadns.net CNAME when it
> asked about toggle.www.ms.akadns.net and yet not accept the A records
> for lb1.www.ms.akadns.net at the same time?
>
> I'm also not seeing the rationale behind not accepting the whole chain
> from toggle down to the A records - we know we're talking to the
> akadns.net authoritative nameserver after all.  Isn't it being overly
> paranoid rather than properly paranoid?

If I understand the correctly, this is because Section 5.4.1 of
RFC2181.  Specifically, the following part:

   Note that the answer section of an authoritative answer normally
   contains only authoritative data.  However when the name sought is an
   alias (see section 10.1.1) only the record describing that alias is
   necessarily authoritative.  Clients should assume that other records
   may have come from the server's cache.  Where authoritative answers
   are required, the client should query again, using the canonical name
   associated with the alias.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.