On 21-Jan-2009, at 03:23 , Scott Haneda wrote:

On Jan 20, 2009, at 6:42 PM, Matthew Pounsett wrote:

Registries that implement host records (so, at least the gTLDs) could accept the word of the registrant of the zone that contains a name server (or the word of their registrar on their behalf) that the server is no longer authoritative for zone X. Registries that haven't implemented host records could also do it, but it may be more complicated to implement, depending on their particular system.

This is actually an interesting idea to me.

However, the one thing that no one has chimed in on yet, is this seems to me to be an openDNS issue. The current DNS system works pretty well. It actually handles this case rather gracefully, with proper caching there is no real danger. My issue is the relentless pounding openDNS does, and for reasons I am not able to even guess.

It does sound like they're doing something at least odd, if not completely wrong. I suspect it's probably related to the way they substitute opcode 3 (nxdomain) with their own answers -- they're probably making absolutely certain that the host doesn't exist, or something. What you describe seems excessive, though.