To: "Al Stu" <al_...@verizon.net>
Cc: <bind-users@lists.isc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:46 AM
Subject: Re: BIND 9.6 Flaw - CNAME vs. A Record in MX Records are NOT "Illegal"

In message <10b3763032c94ae2ba4900b3137d1...@ahsnbw1>, "Al Stu" writes:

The paragraph you cite regarding "LOCAL has a alias and the alias is listed in the MX records for REMOTE..." is a peripery issue which is handled by not
doing that.

Them why are you complaining?  The error message is only emitted
when you add such a alias.

"No one is saying a CNAME is not permitted in response to a MX query."

Well good then, we agree.

No.

The MX record data value can be a CNAME.

No.

That is
what BIND is complaining about, and I in turn saying should be
changed/removed.

i.e. BIND should not complain about the following, but it does. It says the
MX record is "illegal".  But it is not.

srv1  300 IN A 1.2.3.4
mx1   300 IN CNAME srv1.xyz.com.
@   300 IN MX 1 mx1.xyz.com.

The MX query for xyz.com delivers mx1.xyz.com which is a CNAME.
The A query for mx1.xyz.com delivers the address (A) record of srv1.xyz.com,
1.2.3.4, and the alias (CNAME) record of "mx1.xyz.com".

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Andrews" <mark_andr...@isc.org>